Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visual Reference
When I go in to manipulate the theme or template, the settings header (titles) to what is in the settings group, is a bit confusing.

Is there an image of what these settings effect? So that we can see that a particular setting group is going to effect a particular element of the forum page?

I haven't found anything like that yet. It would be a big help.

Thanks.

Wolfman
Which are headers are confusing 4 you? If you know only a bit of html it's easy to understand them. And if you don't, and I do not mean to be rude, maybe you shouldn't change anything, cause there'll be problems. My advice is to create your theme, based on default theme, or any other that you like and than play around with it, so if you can't fix something you've done, you can always go back to the original Smile
In a world without fences and walls - WHO NEEDS windows and gates?
At the moment, the text in replies to a forum topic are painfully small. I tried to enter a larger text size, (I don't even know it I made the change in the right option,(entered "medium" which is actually readable,) but it doesn't change the size any. Then there are sizes I've seen that are entered like this... 18px, which I have no reference to what size that actually is, nor what that setting will actually effect, because I don't have a reference to the pages which explains what these settings actually do.

Not to be malicious or anything, but another forum provider actually has a sort of manual, as an Adobe Acrobat file, that has explainations of the different forum elements and what the settings do and where these settings take effect. They even have examples of what to enter in these windows and what the outcome is after the changes have been made.

Is there any sort of reference that is available that can help? Because the last reply of "If you don't know what you're doing, don't touch it." doesn't help my situation one bit.
First off sorry Sad I was rough. It's just I've seen some people writing some very bad stuff just because they got disapointed, and the only prob was that they didn't know what they were doing, didn't create any failsafe themes etc. and then came here bitchin' around 'cause they couldn't make it work.

Please don't hate me Smile And another thing, I'm not a support team member, just another user like you. So please do not blame them for my harsh words.

It would be great to have a manual as you suggested it, but so far (I used a few different forums) no-one gave them as detailed as you wrote for a free forum.

I'm just trying to help people here if I can, because I came to this forum for the same reason as you, to find answers how to do something that I couldn't figure out. I found some of the answers in the old topics and for some had to open a topic. Nevertheless I got the answers and pretty quickly I might add. So. I'm very satisfied with the forums and with the support team.

And to your problem.

To change settings in a already existing theme is a bit complicated if you don't know any html, that's true.

About the reply's letters size, it's default is small (it's in "Body (Customized in this style)" part) and for resolution 1024*768px it's great and readable (my opinion). Now to change it, you can replace it with one of these "medium, large" or just write in the value eg. 12px. Sizes in px are sizes in pixels, dots on the screen. I think that ordinary text in a forum has no need to be any larger then 12px, but it's for you to decide what to use on your own forum.

To check witch pixel size that is, you can write some text in Notepad (or if you're a Linux user Kate or some alike program) and change it's size. These programs also use pixels for sizes, so you're going to get a pretty good idea what the size of that text will be.

Hope I helped and you don't hate me

soonchica

In a world without fences and walls - WHO NEEDS windows and gates?