Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Were you guys silently sold out?
Well there could eventually be a big change in store for this community, specifically that the new owner of this community has his own set of servers and I hear has expressed interest in eventually moving this community to his servers, and from what I have been told via PM his servers are not linux but Window$...and aside from the known stability issues and costliness of Window$ servers when compared to linux servers there's also the fact that whenever the new owner decides to move this community to his servers, he'll need to make sure he has php, mysql, some windows mod_rewrite clone, and the ability to have wildcard dns (and there doesn't really seem like there's any really easy way to implement mod_rewrite support on Window$ server unless you decide to ditch IIS and install Apache for Window$ and that's much harder to do then on linux)....if the new owners dc has the ability to reimage his servers with a linux distro I'd recommend he do so...I can help him get his servers up and running once that's done if he likes (just contact me via PM)...yes linux has more of a learning curve then window$, but in regards to servers in the end you'll be much more happier and glad that you chose linux over window$
You sure know your servers! But what should I expect? You do run a webhosing company.
[Image: wsor6xz.png]
Hehe, thanks Smile . And I also like Linuxes learning curve because every time there's an issue with the server, it's always a new and interesting adventure and often leaves me with more knowladge then I had before hand, very cool Smile. And best of all...Linux is free and very stable as well while Window$ is neither Wink Smile .
Your welcome.
I am pretty sure that CreateMyBB (The user not the service) knows what he is doing, whatever he decides is up to him. Smile

Anyway what's wrong with windoze? Toungue
[Image: sig-the-chosen.png]
I don't think I could ever make the full job to linux. I played with red hat linux, fedora, knoppix, mandrake. I am mainly a windows developer and develop computer programs for the windows platform. I usally stick to what I know. I can pickup up things pretty fast but for me I feel having a windows server allows me to understand since I know how it works and can solve the problems.

I have some cpanel accounts sitting out there where I mainly test some php scripts to make sure they work with apache and linux.
Please don't PM me for support. Try to post a topic allows other people to learn.
[Image: sig-jon.png]
Like CreateMyBB? Support me at https://www.patreon.com/vbgamer45/
The Chosen Wrote:I am pretty sure that CreateMyBB (The user not the service) knows what he is doing, whatever he decides is up to him. Smile

Anyway what's wrong with windoze? Toungue
Linux servers can stay up for months at a time, Window$ servers typically have to be restarted weekly in order to keep them stable. Linux servers file systems are efficient and thus there is no need for linux server administrators to worry about having to defragment their servers HD(s), this is not the case with Window$ where an administrator needs to make a schedule and set aside time to defragment their servers HD(s). Linux is free and does not require the use of a GUI to utilize it, this is especially good in a servers case because GUIs take away resources that could be put to use for server tasks such as serving web pages and performing MySQL queries, Window$ has expensive licensing schemes and requires the use of a GUI which consumes resources that could be used for serving webpages and such. Linux has a much lower virus and malware vulnerability level as well as just general exploitation level, Window$ constantly has malware and virus issues as well as exploitation issues. Windows has a quite limited web based control panel selection (for use by clients to manage their webspace and for use by admins to control server resources) while Linux has many different choices, one being the very popular cPanel control panel system. With Linux it is easy to setup apache, php, mysql, and other necessities such as mod_rewrite, with Window$ it is not easy to support php and mysql, and support for features such as mod_rewrite is limited to non existent. IIS in Window$ has a much steeper learning curve IMO then does Apache. Apache is more stable and feature rich than IIS is. (And for those of you who don't know, Apache is the web server used on linux servers while IIS is the server used on Window$ servers)
That passage was actually very informative.