Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idea: Professional forum hosting?
Just something I'd like the administrators to think about;

At the moment, you offer a free service, or a service where you can pay to remove ads.

But for people who's forums are becoming popular, and would like to "expand their empire", maybe you can offer a more expensive "professional hosting plan" - no ads, own domain, maybe the possibility to add your own ads.

I, for one, would probably take advantage of this if it was offered; you've hooked us in with your free forum hosting, the people who now have popular forums are kinda stuck on CreateMyBB because you don't allow export. I know this is something that's been discussed in the support forum, and you've said that if we want to export our database, we have to pay. That's only fair. But baybe you could just allow us to just pay you for proper hosting, instead, so we don't need to go elsewhere?

I guess paying to remove ads is pretty close to proper hosting, but if you included, say, FTP access to upload our own icons etc. and permission to run our own advertising etc. then I'd be happy to pay a reasonable price for it and stay with CreateMyBB.
Jimbob Wrote:Just something I'd like the administrators to think about;

At the moment, you offer a free service, or a service where you can pay to remove ads.

But for people who's forums are becoming popular, and would like to "expand their empire", maybe you can offer a more expensive "professional hosting plan" - no ads, own domain, maybe the possibility to add your own ads.

I, for one, would probably take advantage of this if it was offered; you've hooked us in with your free forum hosting, the people who now have popular forums are kinda stuck on CreateMyBB because you don't allow export. I know this is something that's been discussed in the support forum, and you've said that if we want to export our database, we have to pay. That's only fair. But baybe you could just allow us to just pay you for proper hosting, instead, so we don't need to go elsewhere?

I guess paying to remove ads is pretty close to proper hosting, but if you included, say, FTP access to upload our own icons etc. and permission to run our own advertising etc. then I'd be happy to pay a reasonable price for it and stay with CreateMyBB.
It's a very good suggestion, and I won't "shoot it down," but I will make my comments.

Near the end, you mentioned FTP access - the problem with this is, as I've said before, every hosted forum runs off of the same set of files. CreateMyBB only has one set of the MyBB software uploaded, which all of the 3500 forums that are hosted run off of (excluding attachments & avatars, of course). To provide FTP access to your files would, essentially, destroy this system. Unless I'm interpreting it wrong - do you mean just provide you a space to upload some files over FTP, just like a subdirectory (like createmybb.com/ftpuploads/yourforum/ - as an example). If so, that is always a possibility.

I also would like to add that we may add the feature to add your own domain in the distant future - which would be a free feature. Of course, the domain itself would not be, but if you used a free DNS-hosted domain somewhere, it would be entirely free. Like I said - we don't plan on adding this feature any time soon - but it is always a possibility.
If your forum does take off, I'd move it to your own host (not that CreateMyBB isn't good enough or anything) but it gives you a lot more flexibility as you have full control over everything. For example, you could also install a blog or website and integrate it with MyBB. (Disadvantage is that you'd have to manage everything yourself, but if you have basic knowledge of PHP/MySQL and HTML, it shouldn't be too difficult).
[Image: sig.php?mybb]